Tuesday, April 19, 2016

Week 13 Storytelling: The Merchant of Seri

Author's Note. In my reading for this week, I read a few children's tales. I especially liked one that told of two merchants who go around town selling and trading brass and tinware. The first merchant (we'll call him John) goes to the house of an old lady and her granddaughter (we'll call her Emily). The grandmother has nothing but an old bowl to trade, not realizing it is actually made of gold! The merchant realizes this and attempts to trick the grandmother by telling her it's worthless and goes on his way (hoping to return back later). The second merchant (we'll call him Jacob) also visits the grandmother. However, this time, he realizes it's gold and tells the grandmother that it is too expensive for him to afford! After some discussion, they make a trade and the merchant goes on his way back home. When the first merchant comes back to the grandmother's house, she lets him know of the trade that had already happened. The merchant realizes how his greed and lying had cost him a sale. I absolutely loved this story as it teaches a great lesson. I want to retell it in a way where we get to see the whole story from the greedy merchant's point of view, getting an insight into his thoughts and his realization of his mistake at the end. Enjoy!


John opened the door of his house and squinted against the bright morning sun as he made his way down the street, ready to begin another day of trade. John prided himself on his skills as a merchant, able to bargain and trick customers in order to get the price or product he desired. Today, was no different. He made his way down the road yelling "brass and tinware for sale! Get it here. Cash or trade! Get it now!" He walked until he saw a house he hadn't visited yet. He made his way to the door and knocked.

A frail, old grandmother answered the door. After explaining about his business, the grandmother told him to wait as she went to look for something to make a trade with."

"Emily, Emily. Theres a man at the door who is selling brass and tinware. I don't know that we even have anything but this old bowl your grandfather you used to love to have his morning porridge in."

"Grandmother, we might as well try. Who knows, he could be kind and make a trade for it!"

As they made their way back to the door, the grandmother handed John the bowl. John held it and used a needle to see what it was made out of. To his amazement, he discovered that this old bowl was actually made of gold! He couldn't believe his eyes.

"Oh my. This bowl is worth more than everything I own. They don't seem to know its worth. Well, well...looks like it's my lucky day. But I need to make them think its worthless and then come back later to buy it for cheap." These thoughts were racing through his head, as he fought to control his facial expressions, not wanting to give anything away.

"Well lady, this is a rather old bowl that is worth mere pennies. My products are worth a good price and I can't accept scrap for them." John left the house and smiled as he walked down the street, sure he was going to make a great deal with them later in the day. He was going to hit the jackpot with that gold bowl. Or would he?

John tries to trick the grandmother (Image Source).


Later in the day, John had made his rounds around town, making trades here and there. He could barely concentrate as the thought of the grandmother's bowl remained at the forefront of his mind. He made his way back to their house and knocked on the door. He prepared his face to look unconcerned, ready to trick them into giving him the bowl for a paltry price.

The grandmother opened the door and frowned, realizing who it was. "How may I help you?"

John was taken aback by her tone of voice and frown apparent on her face. "...Uh, yes lady...ma'am. I just wanted to come back and buy your go...I mean old bowl. I can make an exception today for my high quality brass and make the trade for your old bowl."

The grandmother shook her head, feeling pity for the merchant who lacked honesty and manners in conducting business. "Listen, I have already sold the bowl, to a nice young fellow named Jacob. He told me the truth about the worth of the bowl. It was gold after all! My husband had told me of its worth once but I thought he was just teasing me, as he always used to do. You should be ashamed of yourself, attempting to trick a little old lady like me."

John stood in stunned silence. It had been years and years since he had been scolded. He felt as if it was his own mother getting on to him. He bowed his head, realizing his terrible mistake, and spoke to the grandmother.

"Ma'am. I am deeply sorry. Greed had blinded me. When I thought you wouldn't know anything about the worth of the bowl, I thought I had hit the jackpot and was about to make the biggest trade of my career. I realize now that greed and dishonesty gets you nowhere. I apologize for trying to trick you. I am glad you sold it to Jacob, as he is an honest and trustworthy merchant. I sincerely beg for your forgiveness and swear to always conduct my business with honor in the future."


~The End~



Bibliography.
Jataka Tales by Ellen C. Babbitt. Web Source: The Baldwin Project.

3 comments:

  1. Hello Bayan,
    I actually read this story as well and I am glad that you decided to make it your own for I too love the lesson of this story. I am glad that the little old lady decided to confront him and make him see the error or his ways. I saw two teeny tiny mistakes in your story. The “E” in Emily should be capitalized and the paragraph above the picture had “bow” instead of “bowl”. Overall, I really enjoyed reading your story.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really enjoyed reading this story. I like that we got to follow the merchant around in his day to see what was going on in his mind. I think that’s the way a lot of salesmen or “merchants” tend to think. I also enjoyed the ending where he got the opportunity to apologize to the old lady for being greedy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Bayan,

    I love your story! Like all your other ones as well. I like the moral of the story! It is also different from the usual stories I read which have to deal with PAndava’s or Rama and Sita. This last story was a good way to end the semester. Overall This was a great read and you changed up in much more interesting way than the original.

    ReplyDelete