Monday, March 28, 2016

Week 10 Reading Diary: Jataka Tales

Jataka Tales: by Ellen C. Babbitt

This week, instead of watching another film, I decided to go a different route. For my reading diaries this week, I wanted to look at stories that weren't related to the main epics we've read this semester so far, the Ramayana and Mahabharata. Although I loved them both, I have read them and various adaptations of them (other stories or films). Therefore, I decided to sort of revert back to the stories I first read at the beginning of the class. Children's stories!! I always enjoy those because they are simple, a bit funny/entertaining, and teach a lesson.

There were a lot of stories that I read this week but I will just point out a few of my favorites. There was a story that told of three fish, names Very Thoughtful, Thoughtful, and Thoughtless. Although it was a very short, simple story, with Thoughtful coming in to save the day. It reminded me of an older sibling who always looks after the young, lost ones. It reminds me to be thankful for my own big sister for taking care of my little sister and I so well!

Another story that I enjoyed was one that old of a group of friends including a deer, turtle and woodpecker. They all took turns saving the other when a hunter was threatening to capture one or the other. It may seem a bit cheesy, but I love that the story told of different kinds of animals living in peace together and standing up and protecting each other. Certain other species should learn from them (ahemhumansahem).

Friendship goals (Image Source).


The last story that I really enjoyed was the one that told of four princes wanting to see the famous red-bud tree. They all come back saying they saw something different. Their dad then goes on to explain that they each went at different times of the year and that's why all their descriptions sound different. Although it was a simple enough story, it made me laugh! How fascinating that we can all have different views on things!

Can't wait to read more of these stories!

No comments:

Post a Comment