Wednesday, March 23, 2016

Week 9 Reading Diary: Epified Mahabharata

Epified Mahabharata by: Epified Channel

For this week, I chose to explore the Mahabharata through another lens: a movie!! I have to say, it was one of my favorite weekly "readings" so far this semester. I thoroughly enjoyed the various parts of the 'film.' The drawings that depicted all the scenes and characters were so simple yet so beautiful. I especially loved how they simplified everything, but made sure to cover all important parts of the epic. I already know the plot of the story from having read it before but there were some scenes that stood out to me in this movie.

I especially liked the first couple of episodes because they helped clear up a lot of who the characters were and how they were related. I liked the scene where King Shantanu and Ganga met, as the drawings really helped me understand what happened and why she left.

The other parts I really enjoyed was how the Pandavas and Kauravas. I remember while reading the epic originally, I was so unbelievably confused who were the sons of which father and who the wives were. This epified version of the Mahabharata helped make it all a lot more clear. I was able to understand it better because the two families "beginnings" were focused on separately, with the drawings depicting how the Pandavas came to be and how the Kauravas came to be.

Another favorite part from the film is where I feel the drama starts. The Pandavas returning to Hastinapura allows both famlilies to be in close proximity of each other. Competition and rivalry is inevitable and that is exactly what happens. Jealousy and negative feelings begin to develop. I am truly grateful that the film explained everything simply because there are so many scenes in the epic that confused me including why the Pandavas and Kauravas were truly "against" each other.

I really can't wait to finish the film and learn some more!

The Mahabharata through drawings (Image Source).

No comments:

Post a Comment