Thursday, January 21, 2016

Overview


For my Week 2 &3 readings, I have decided to go with the PDE Ramayana Online. I had a hard time deciding which option I would prefer since they both had positives and negatives. Although R. K. Narayan's Ramayana would be using a consistently modern writing style, I think having old-fashion language used (in the PDE Ramayana version online) will help preserve much of the original meaning from the epic. I also love that I will have access to an audio version if I need it. I love listening to stories so having that as an option is a big plus. I also believe having illustrations while telling/reading a story is essential for me to really take in what the author is writing about. I can follow along with the plot and be able to picture all the scenes with detail. Having notes and links available is always a bonus because I have never read an Indian epic before and any kind of resources for increasing understanding would be appreciated.



Lord Balabhdra, Goddess Subhadra, and Lord Gagannath (Wikimedia Commons)


This will be my first experience with anything concerning Indian Epics or mythology. I have learned bits of information about Hinduism and Buddhism on interfaith field trips, and have meditated with them briefly to experience it. I am Muslim, so I do know a lot about Islam and have read the Holy Quran many times.  I have friends from India and have heard their music and thoroughly enjoyed seeing their dances and entertainment. The picture above intrigued me greatly. It reminded me of the field trip I took to a temple where I saw a lot of flowers and intricate designs all around. It is really a sort of complex art. As I was sifting through the many pictures, I feel that I had seen a few of them before but do not know them well enough to identify who was in which picture. I have great expectations for this class and I think it will be very enjoyable!

1 comment:

  1. I am so glad that you are interested in the religious art along with the epics, Bayan! India is such a big country, with so much regional art. Also, the Islamic art influence in India was very profound, and a lot of the illustrations I will be sharing with the class are from the Islamic art tradition during the Mughal period in India. If you are curious about that, you can learn about the Mughal period at Wikipedia here: Wikipedia: Mughal Empire. The Islamic artists produced some of the most beautiful depictions of the epics, as you will see!

    ReplyDelete