Monday, January 25, 2016

Week 2 Reading Diary: Ramayana [PDE]


Ramayana Online: by various authors


Today, I started the first 50 pages of the Ramayana (public domain edition). It was such a fascinating read. One of the most important thing that I noticed was the detailed imagery that was painted with the complex descriptions. It helped me visualize the scene in my head very easily. The use of similes was especially great. There were a few sentences in the first section that I read that described King Dasharatha's palace, stating it was "guarded by a thousand warriors fierce as flames of consuming fire and ever watchful like to mountain lions which protect their dens." One of my favorite things when reading, is having a story with plentiful detail that paint a picture. I love how there is already the introduction of an antagonist in the first few sections because it really creates a nice storyline already for the rest of the story. It makes me excited to read more. When Vishvamitra and the two sons, Rama and Lakshmana, made the journey for Vishvamitra's sacrificial rites, it describes it so beautifully. It says that they "followed Vishvamitra like glorious flames, making him bright with the reflection of their own radiance." I really loved this description so much because, again, you can picture the scene in your head so clearly.

My favorite part so far has to been Rama and Sita's meeting! My absolute favorite part was Rama saying, "I know of a surety that there comes hither a lady who I shall love beyond all things else in the world." Rama wins Sita['s heart] and his brothers find love too from Sita's family! The more I read about Rama the more amazing he's shown to be. Every after he was told he would be exiled for 14 years, he respectfully accepted his fate. What a loyal son he is to his father. I also loved how Lakshmana also followed his dear brother to the forest as well. I am a sucker for love and Rama and Sita have just completely shown themselves to be so loving and caring towards each other. When Rama tells Sita he is exiled, she doesn't skip a beat in telling him she will follow, despite the dangers and challenging of the forest.

Rama, Sita, and Lakshmana in the forest after exile (Wikimedia Commons).


The reading ended with Dasharatha dying and I'm a bit sad that Rama and his other sons were not near him when he passed.

So far, I am very intrigued and cannot wait to keep reading!


No comments:

Post a Comment