Saturday, January 30, 2016

Week 2: Indian Epics Topics Brainstorm


1. Possible Topic-Heroes and Heroines:
 Every good story has a hero or heroine. In some cases, there are many of them. Almost everyone loves rooting for the good guys. Doing a project over the protagonists of the Ramayana would be interesting! There are so many possibilities to make the telling of these great characters into a spectacular project. If I chose this specific type of topic, I would most likely do it over Rama. Not only is he a fascinating character, there is also a lot of content I can use from the Ramayana. With so much information, I have more flexibility in what I want to tell my story about and what kind of project I would want to work on.

Research so far: From past storybooks, the project over The Oscars, starring characters from the epic, was so fascinating! It was not only extremely entertaining, it also provided the reader with information about each character's personality and attributes. If I chose this project, I would need to do some in-depth research about the characters. I could use Wikipedia pages discussing HanumanLakshmanaRama, or Sita. Rama or Sita's marriage, their banishment, and the event that unfold after that could be told through a unique project. The Ramayana PDE would be another great source of extra research if I want to make sure not to stray too far from the main storyline.

2. Possible Topic-Women Characters: I am all about Women's Power! This is another topic that piques my interest. While reading through the Ramayana, Sita's character especially interested me. The circumstances of her meeting and marrying Rama, as well as the struggles later in life with her husband's exile were so great to read. I was also interested in doing a project over Dasharatha's many wives (a scenario with just one wife or all three). Rama and Bharata's mothers would be the characters that I would most likely focus on because there is great potential for various tense scenarios and what their actions would be as a result.

Research so far: I believe a few past projects have covered some stories about Dasharatha's wives. Most of the stories I looked at, however, obviously focused on Sita. I know there are Wikipedia pages to give me a brief overview of the women characters if I choose this topic. I could look up information about SitaMantharaKaikeyi, and Kausalya. I was brainstorming about doing a project involving a modern reality show. I could do a project based on the TLC show Sister Wives (following the lives Dasharatha's wives) or something like the Bachelor (Dasharatha gives four roses away at the finale and marries 3 wives!!). I also know that the Ramayana PDE can be a great resource as well, with many links for further information. 

3. Possible Topic-Brothers and Sisters, Mothers and Fathers: This is also a very interesting topic I could use for my Storybook project. Throughout the readings for the Ramayana, I have loved the parts that talk about Rama and Bharata's interactions, as well as Rama and his father's interactions. Although the situations discussed may be brief, I feel there is so much potential if I decide to expand it somehow and make a creative project out of those brief events (Bharata replacing Rama as king, Dasharatha having to exile his son, etc.) Although it was covered for maybe one or two sentences, I loved the fact that Rama and his brothers all married wives from Janaka's family. I think that would be an awesome topic to do a project on. 

Research so far: As I was going through past storybooks, I found one of my favorites. It was called the "Brahmazing Race" and is probably one of the most creative titles and projects I've seen. It does give me a few ideas of adapting a modern reality show to the stories throughout the epic. I could do shows like Survivor (Rama and Sita!!), The Bachelor (the brothers match up and give the final rose to their wives at the finale), Big Brother (interactions between both families in one house), or Real Housewives of Ayodhya (having all the brothers and sisters be in Ayodhya and follow their adventures). I even had an idea of doing a Keeping up with the Kardashians spinoff--Keeping up with the Dasharthians. I can info about RamaBharataLakshmana, and Shatrughna from Wikipedia as well as from the Ramayana PDE.

4. Possible Topic-Love Stories: This is one of my favorite topics that could be used for my storybook project. As I've said before; I'm a sucker for love. I would be very interested in doing a project over the couples in the Ramayana. As I've stated in the possible topic choices above, I am really looking at perhaps doing my project over a couple (or two or three) and using a modern reality show as the template for the storyline. I have listed ideas like The Bachelor, Survivor: Ayodhya, Real Housewives of Ayodhya, or even Sister Wives. Instead of doing my project over just love stories, I would not mind including the other topics (brothers and sisters/mothers and fathers or women characters) while the focus would still be on love! 

Research so far: The most helpful resources and research has been from past storybook projects. I've seen many of them revolving around diary entries or something of that sort. I really do like that idea but I do want to be a bit more original while doing my own project. Projects like When Love ConfessesTales of Two CouplesTales of LoveReal Housewives of Ramayana, and others were great resources to use when brainstorming. I love that although they kept the focus on love and the couples, they told the story in a very creative way. The Ramayana PDE has various links I could use if I chose this topic for my project. Wikipedia has links to information on the various characters as well.

Rama, his brothers, and all their wives (Wikimedia Commons).


No comments:

Post a Comment